A Hobbit Reveals Herself


It’s time for the plant catalogues to start coming in. It didn’t mean much a few years ago but now that gardening is officially a hobby (or in other words, Time Filler) I’m pouring over them like they were scriptures.  If I poured over scriptures like I should.  Which I don’t, but should, since the reality of their central theme is getting closer.  
Mom and Dad in the early eighties living the life style that
allowed them to wear dress ups.  

Here are my hobbies:  cooking, reading, researching heath websites in order to extend my life, exercising sporadically (frankly the health research is taking up some of that time), playing the piano, trying to learn French, calling my kids and planning visits to them, visiting with friends, and last but not least, gardening.  

Oh, and I run errands.  
I love errands.  Errands can be checked off and stacked up as accomplishments.  But they’re usually not too hard and don’t involve too much thought so it makes it so I can skate through life piling up accomplishments without too many actual demands on my brain.  

Which is why I’m trying to look at a few more long term things—goals I’d like to accomplish in a bigger way.  So, what do I want to have in ten years?  If the very act of planning something doesn't jinx it.  


1) I want to look back on a life filled with having shared as much as possible of the lives of my kids and their various offspring.  Share perspective, a listening ear, babysitting, money.  Whatever.  
2) I want to have a perennial yard that just comes up every year and chokes out the weeds.  
3) I want a happy marriage with my then old but still cute husband.  
4) I want to be healthy because I eat my vegetables, take walks or ride my exercise bike and go to bed on time.  
5) I want to still be interested in others and have an active mind.  
6) I want to have friends that I care about and that I can be myself around.  
7) I want a good spiritual life with reasonable expectations for eternity because I keep the commandments to love God and my neighbor as myself.  


Anything else?  What would be good? Thoughts? 

Comments

The Halls said…
I love this post. I have been thinking a lot lately of goals I need to be working on. You have inspired me to get my goals down on paper.

Popular posts from this blog

Winning Christmas

Trivial? Hardly!

A Perfectly Bad Example of Grandparenting