Honey, I love ya but give me Park Avenue

Green acres is the place for me,

Farm livin’ is the life for me!

So a couple of years ago my sister and I inherited a little money from my dad and she and her husband went in with some friends and built a house in Mexico a half block from the beach.

We just bought an alfalfa field outside of Duchesne. My husband is over the moon. I’m available, on this side of the moon, but still happy for him. After all, he’s given me thirty years of paychecks with nary a boo, so it’s his turn.

And I knew when I married him he was a workaholic. I kind of like that he’s that way, it keeps him busy and out of my hair. This is going to mean spending summer Saturdays for the rest of my life up in Salt Lake shopping with my daughter, not the worst news I’ve ever had.

But man! Do I ever envy him his joy in this field! Today, by a fluke, he was home for lunch and so I made him sausage and eggs and toast, a favorite, and as he was mopping up his plate I said, “You happy?” Meaning, has your full tummy brought you a sense of well-being?

He said, “Maybe. I will be if it makes money.”

He’s like a little kid with a new BB gun or a bike. Every second of his evenings, he’s sitting at the kitchen table with a yellow legal pad figuring things. Can he get six tons an acre with good fertilizer? His son, who’s also bought part of the property, has seen a good-looking tractor for $12,000 up in Idaho. Should they call about it?

He told me today he’s talked to almost everybody he needs to: the ditch rider, the dairy farmer who’s promised to buy this hay and anymore he can find next summer. The soil sample’s with the IFA soil analysis people, the electricity is being changed into our name.

I guess there’s a little part of me that wishes he wanted to go to Paris, or buy a sailboat and hit the west coast for a couple of years. I don’t want a house in Mexico because another house to me is just another house to clean.

But I have to say, and believe me I’m not always this kind or generous, there are times when watching someone you love be completely happy is just the absolute best thing there is.

How great to occasionally find your dream has come true? His farmer itch, which he has had since I’ve known him, is actually being scratched.

And my sis is letting me use her house for a family vacation this year.

Hopefully, it won’t be during harvest time, because we’re going to miss him.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winning Christmas

Trivial? Hardly!

Wild Old Women, Wild Times