New Years Resolutions...again

New Year’s Resolutions…again

Ok, so its that time again. The time to change your life completely around and make a difference. Be that somebody new you’ve always wanted to be.

My husband doesn’t make New Year’s resolutions==which in my opinion is the complete acceptance of getting old and giving up. If you’re not trying to change your life and be better, what ARE you trying to do? Are you just laying around out there, growing a bigger belly button?

Get up out of your rut, look yourself in the eye, folks. Let’s make some changes out there!

Here’s my first change: I’m not giving my husband any more advice. He never takes it, doesn’t listen, doesn’t value my vast insights. He doesn’t do anything about what I tell him to do. From now on, I’m going to keep the advice I was going to give to him for myself. I will be able to lead the productive, fulfilling, greatly enriched life I envision for him, and he will be left out in the cold with his same boring old problems.

Next, I’m going to ask people to help me when I need it. For one things I’m going to let my kids do their own chores instead of succumbing to teary-eyed pleas of fatigue when it comes to trash hauling, dishwasher emptying and room cleaning.

I’m going to let my husband walk around his own messes until they drive HIM crazy. I’m going to call volunteers when I have a big project to do instead of being Miss Independent Woman of the Year and completely over-whelmed 50% of the time.

Third resolution, I’m going to stop beating myself over the head every time I do some little thing wrong. I’m going to try and ignore the aftermath of my faults. I’m not going to spend the rest of the year reminding myself how much I spent this Christmas, how awful it was that I ate a box of ice cream before I went o bed Tuesday, what a terribly parent I am because my kids aren’t perfect, how ugly I look when my husband comes home. It it’s done, it’s over and I’m going to forget it. I think my life gets stuck on instant replay sometimes.

Fourth, I’m going to let spontaneity rule. Like playing chase with the kids around the living room instead of doing the dishes. Or laughing when I;m being teased by my teenager instead being a grump, self-righteous grown-up. Calling my spouse in the idle of the day at work when we’ve had an argument for breakfast or saying yes when a friend wants to go for a ride—all instead of doing the dishes.

I seem to know two kinds of people—those who are in complete control of their lives and are NO FUN and those who aren’t in control and are fun but spend a lot of time being frustrated because they’re not getting anything done. I’d like to reach that fabulous middle ground where I’m not self-obsessed but I’m not frustrated to death either.

I’d like to transcend the mundane, workaday world I’m so ensconced in and pick a few goals that will fulfill the giant in me—that mythical place inside myself where I’m more than just somebody’s mommy or neighbor or wife. I’d like to have something to show for myself this year that’s more permanent than just slogging through another 352 days.

That’s why I make resolutions. Resolutions do for my soul what chocolate cake with ice cream down for my meals. They make it fun.

And I keep my resolutions. I look back at them over the year. There has never been a time that I couldn’t say that I’ve made progress just by the very fact of deciding to do something I’ve usually taken a few steps forward from where I was.

So, I’m going to give this one last piece of advice to my husband and those like him: think it over. You might want to have a good look at some of those faults you have and make a few changes.

And if you’re not sure about what you need to work on, just give me a call. I’ll get you a list.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winning Christmas

Trivial? Hardly!

Wild Old Women, Wild Times