Miscellaneous

First, a joke: These three guys go to heaven and when they get there, St. Peter asks them each to tell him a little about himself. So, the first guy says, “Well, St. Peter, when I was on earth I had an I.Q. of 165 and I was a rocket scientist”
“Well,” says St. Peter, “this is wonderful news. We hardly ever get any scientists up here! Come on in!” And the guy went into heaven.
The next guy comes up and says, “St. Peter, on earth I was a famous author and my I.Q. was 145. Can I come in?” St. Peter says of course, he would be delighted to have such a distinguished soul up in heaven.
Next comes the poor third guy. He says, “St, Peter, on earth my I.Q. was only 38.” He was obviously heartbroken.
St. Peter pondered for awhile and then he brightened up. “Did you get your deer?”

My father’s birthday is coming up in a few weeks, and in anticipating that, I’d like to list some of the very best information that he left to his children while we were growing up:
“NEVER feel sorry for yourself. No matter what happens to you. You will always be a lucky girl because of the good life you’ve had so far.”
“NEVER chew gum. And if you have to chew it, do it with your mouth closed, and only chew it until the flavor’s gone and then wrap it in a piece of paper and throw it in the trash—like I’m doing now.” (Advice given on the one time I ever saw him chew gum.)
“Always remember that ‘This too shall pass.”
“A person will never go wrong if he has a sense of values. My sixth grade teacher told me one day that I would always do well because I had a sense of values.”
Never charge things, and if you do, always pay back the balance right away so you won’t have to pay interest.
Always be honest.
“Always take care of people who are less fortunate than you are—and young lady, EVERYBODY in the world is less fortunate than you are.”
Most of all, my dad taught us by the life he led. When he was very young, he was blinded in an accident, and throughout his youth, he went through a series of eye operations which eventually partially restored his sight. He was very proud of the fact that in spite of his handicap, he ran track and had a paper route and NEVER felt sorry for himself.
When his dad lost everything in the Depression, the family was so poor that they could no longer afford to stay together. My father and grandfather moved to a piece of land owned outside of Houston, and together, they raised beans and chickens which my dad would peddle door-to-door in Houston. His mom and sister stayed in the city where hi mother went to work in a sewing factory.
After high school graduation, he turned down a scholarship to college to get a job and support the family. His first big job was as a milk man. Later, he went into business with his brother-in-law, and the two of them became very successful in the oil business.
All through his life he never really lost his innocence. He somehow always thought hard work and goodness would overcome all obstacles. While I was often frustrated by this innocence-in spit of all information to the contrary—I know it came from a good heart.
Now that he’s gone, I try to concentrate more on his gum chewing advice than what he drove me crazy with. It doesn’t always work, but it’s worth a try.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Winning Christmas

Trivial? Hardly!

Wild Old Women, Wild Times